Friday, November 18, 2016

Hodgepodge 20/365 - Calling Washington

As I mentioned the other day, I've never been much of an activist. But this election may be changing that.

A little while ago on Facebook I saw a request for concerned citizens to phone the House Oversight Committee and urge them to conduct a bipartisan review of Trump's financials and "apparent" conflict of interest. (I use the quotes because as far as I can tell, he is one big lurching conflict of interest all by himself.)

The problem in this particular case? "Yesterday Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner sat in on Trump's first meeting with a foreign dignitary, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. This is a state meeting and they had no security clearance (and no political experience—runs in the family) and she is supposed to be running his businesses during his presidential term. Can you spell crazy conflict of interest?"

So I jumped on the phone and . . . got a "mailbox full" message. Over and over and over again. (As it turned out, I was not alone. The WaPo reported a tsunami of phone calls today, the last day it will do any good.)

So I sent a fax, via myfax.com. Better than nothing.

And then a friend pointed out a spot on the Oversight Committee's web page called "Blow the Whistle" where I could send a message.

So I did that too.

I like the idea of my fax scrolling out of a machine and piling up on the floor with hundreds, maybe thousands, of other faxes.

Oh, but: what if the machine ran out of paper?

Well, I won't worry about that. I've got bigger things to worry about.

And you can bet I'll be speaking up.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thank you, Anne. Keep it up!